What: A place to get together to solder stuff, and learn to solder!
You can easily learn all of the skills you need in a short time.
Make a project, and take it home with you!
If you have your own project (advanced or simple),
bring it by, and if you would like help, you can get it!
When: All day and all night -- Every day of HOPE #9
Most projects take about 1.5 to 2 hours
Where: Hardware Hacking Area (Mezzanine/2nd floor)
Who: You! All ages, all skill levels
It is fun to make things in the friendly community of the Hardware Hacking Area.
Come join us. Everyone is welcome.
Cost: Instruction is free! We ask that people pay only for the cost of the parts used -- kit prices range from $10 to $30.
Learn to solder! Mitch Altman and Jimmie Rodgers and others will bring kits to make cool, practical, intriguing, hackable things that you can bring home after you make it. Of course, you can also bring your own projects to hack. And if you have anything to fix, or create, bring it by!
Plenty of cool kits are available to make, including:
- TV-B-Gone (turn off TVs in public places!)
- Brain Machine (Meditate, Hallucinate, and Trip Out!)
- LOL Shield (Lots Of LEDs!)
- Mignonette Game (play fun games!)
- Trippy RGB Waves (interactive blinky lights!)
- LEDcube (animated 3D cube!)
- MiniPOV (write messages in the air!)
- MintyBoost (charge your USB enabled gadgets!)
- Hello My Name Is... badge (Geeky, blinky version!)
- microcontroller programmers (program all your AVR family chips!)
- Arduino clones (make just about anything!)
- Open Heart (animate fun patterns in the shape of a heart!)
- Atari Punk Console (make cool noise from an Altoids tin!)
- SMD Badge kit (learn to solder surface mount, and blink!)
- Blinken Button (learn to solder surface mount and display animation!)
- Geiger Counter kit (check out the radiation level everywhere!)
- And more.
Anyone can learn to solder! Even if you have never made anything in your life, you can learn this very useful and enjoyable skill. It really is fun! Mitch and Jimmie have taught tens of thousands of people to solder all around the world, and they can teach you, too! Add yourself to the ever increasing community!